Thursday, January 19, 2012

Falling in Love

(this post was written while smoking my Aldo Valeni Contrast filled with Jenuwine Royal Buttered Rum.)



As I gaze at my pipe collection, I notice that out of all the briar brands I own there are only two that are represented by more than one pipe.  They are my Aldo Valenis and my Petersons.  And out of these the Petersons are the only ones that I have purchased for myself.

Peterson of Dublin is now edging up on 3 centuries of pipe making.  Formed out of a partnership between the Kapp Bros. and Charles Peterson in 1863, Peterson of Dublin has been making innovations in Pipe making in an industry known more for its traditions than for its advances.  Charles brought with him a design for the now famous Peterson System.  The System is essentially an additional chamber in the shank that allows moisture to be captured and provides a cooler, dryer smoke.  In 1898, Mr. Peterson also patented a new type of bit for the stem which came to be known as the "P-Lip".  The P-Lip directs the smoke toward the roof of the mouth and helps to cut down on "tongue bite" when smoking.

My two Petersons are a Rusticated Kapet #69 and an Aran #999.  Only the Aran has the P-Lip and I LOVE IT!  I recently took my Aran to work with me and have never had so many compliments on what a beautiful pipe it is.  Part of what sets it off is the nickle mount where the stem meets the shank.  I seem to be moving up the ranks with Peterson and I hope that my next one will be in the Celtic Range.  These have a gorgeous sterling silver mount that is etched with Celtic knots.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment