Monday, October 28, 2013

RIP Lou Reed

This post was written while smoking my Stanwell Freehand Zebrano filled with Esoterica's Margatte.







RIP.  Lou hated to see that sentiment.
"It always bothers me to see people writing 'RIP' when a person dies. It just feels so insincere and like a cop-out. To me, 'RIP' is the microwave dinner of posthumous honours." - Lou Reed
However, I sincerely mean it.  Rest in peace.  For a guy who fought so many demons during his life, peace was probably a great commodity and in short supply.  So, Rest in Peace, Lou.  And may God have mercy on your soul.

I started thinking today about how much my life has been enriched by truly broken people.  Jack Kerouac, Lou Reed, Dylan Thomas, Charlie "Bird" Parker, etc.  Why?  Why did I look to these lost souls instead of one of the great Saints when I needed a reality check?  What did I think they could tell me about life, about truth, about holiness?  Was I simply fascinated by their dissolute lives and getting a kick out of "slumming it"?

Then, with a lightning flash of insight, I understood what it was.  Yes, each of these men knew the tragic, sullen, dirty gutters of life.  But in each junkie, drunk and whore that they described (and many times were) they saw beauty and looked for redemption.  There were moments in which they looked out from under the blanket of the crazy life they led and saw something holy and were completely enthralled.  Jack Kerouac's alter ego, Sal Paradise witnessed it following a late night conversation with Dean Moriarty.
"I looked at him; my eyes were watering with embarrassment and tears.  Still he stared at me.  Now his eyes were blank and looking through me.  It was probably the pivotal point of our friendship when he realized I had actually spent some hours thinking about him and his troubles, and he was trying to place that in his tremendously involved and tormented mental categories.  Something clicked in both of us.  In me it was suddenly concern for a man who was years young than I, five years, and whose fate was wound with mine across the passage of the recent years;  in him it was a matter that I can ascertain only from what he did afterward.  He became extremely joyful and said everything was settled."
 Dean Moriarty.  Alcoholic, drug fiend, sex addict, criminal, and probably certifiably insane.  And yet Sal knows that this man, with all his faults is one whom he just can't let go "gentle into that good night".  Their fates are tied together and in him, Sal sees something beautiful and redeemable.  He "shambles along" after Dean because he want to grasp a glimpse into the beatness of the world and see there a bit of holiness.  But he also concerns himself with Dean's future.  How will he find a safe place for his madness?  Will he find a way to reign it in so that it doesn't destroy this wonderful soul.

Lou Reed was another who looked at the world without glossing over it's warts.  I believe that in between the warts he was looking for something that could be bought back from Hell's treasury.  When I first discovered the Velvet Underground and their front man, I immediately made a connection.  I knew the people who he sung about.  These were my bohemian actor friends; this was a world I understood.  And yet, he was seeing a side of them that I only briefly saw.  There was "Phil, who was given to pills and small racing cars", and "Chuck in his Genghis Khan suit and his wizard's hat".  Each one had a rhythm of speech and concerns of the day but eventually everyone got back to speaking of the rain.  The rain.  The one inevitable thing that weighed on the mind of each of my friends.  For each one of them felt eternity and loneliness raining down on them and wanted to make sense of it.

In my more introspective times, I think that may have been why God called me to be a Priest.  Not to sit in judgment of their sins.  That is God's job and he will do it with more mercy than I ever could.  But rather to see each one of these broken, questioning people that inhabit God's green earth and see beauty and redemption there.  To point them in the direction of the One who brings loneliness to an abrupt end  and will mend the open wounds that we all have.  To realize that their fate is wound with mine across the passage of recent years.  John 3:17 says, "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world though Him might be saved."  I will always claim this verse for my friends Lou, Jack, Bird, Dylan and all the others that I know personally.  May God forever make me a minister of this promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment